Coconut Paleo Mayonnaise
YIELDS: 1 ¼ cup PREP: 15 min.
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp mustard (this is optional)
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup liquid bacon fat or rendered lard in place of the olive and coconut oils
- In a medium bowl (blender, food processor) mix the yolks, mustard, if using, and 1 tsp lemon juice.
- Start whisking vigorously (blender or food processor on low) while dripping the oil very slowly, even drop by drop in the beginning. You’re creating an emulsion and if you put too much oil at once, it will separate and will be very hard to save. Whisk non-stop and use a towel under the bowl to help stabilize it.
- As you add more oil, the emulsion will form and the mayonnaise will start to thicken and you can pour the oil faster at this point.
- When all the oil is incorporated and the mayonnaise is thick, whisk in the rest of the lemon juice and taste your creation. You can season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy without guilt and keep the leftovers in the refrigerator!
Homemade mayo: the basic recipe
- 1-1/4 cup of light olive oil, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 lemon, juiced
- Place the egg, 1/4 cup of olive oil, mustard powder, and salt in a mixing bowl, blender, or food processor. Mix thoroughly.
- While the food processor or blender is running (or while mixing in a bowl with a stick blender), slowly drizzle in the remaining cup of olive oil.
- After you’ve added all the oil and the mixture has emulsified, add lemon juice to taste, stirring gently with a spoon to incorporate.