THAI RED CURRY PASTE
- 1 shallot OR 1/4 cup purple onion, chopped
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, minced, OR 3 Tbsp. frozen prepared lemongrass (available at Asian stores)
- 1-2 red chilies, OR 1/2 to 1 tsp. cayenne pepper, OR 2-3 tsp. Thai chili sauce
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 thumb-size piece galangal OR ginger, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato ketchup OR good-tasting tomato puree
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper (available in most spice aisles)
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce, OR for vegetarians: 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, plus salt to taste
- 1 tsp. shrimp paste, OR for vegetarians: 1 Tbsp. Thai golden mountain sauce, both available at Asian stores
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1+1/2 to 2 Tbsp. chili powder from the spice aisle (see note below recipe*), depending on how spicy you want it
- 3 Tbsp. thick coconut milk, or just enough to keep the blades turning (reserve remaining for cooking the curry)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh-squeezed lime juice
- Optional: 1/4 tsp. cinnamon (OR add 1 cinnamon stick to your curry pot)
COCONUT RED CURRY SHRIMP
PREP TIME COOK TIME
10 mins 10 mins
An easy 15 minute red curry shrimp recipe with the perfect balance of creamy coconut and spice.
Author: Gina Matsoukas
- 1-11/2 lb. large shrimp, devained & tails removed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- ½ a large zucchini, sliced into 2 inch strips
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons red curry paste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 8 oz. light coconut milk (from a can)
- In a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, melt coconut oil.
- Add garlic and ginger and saute for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add all vegetables and saute for another 5 minutes until softened.
- Add shrimp and then curry paste and toss to thoroughly coat all the vegetables and shrimp with the paste. Saute for another minute.
- Add the red pepper flakes, fish sauce and coconut milk and cook until shrimp are cooked through, about 3-5 more minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro or scallions and serve with rice.